Saturday, January 7, 2012

THANKS and a New Look!

   Teachers are truly instinctual creatures and I am so grateful for it! I had a really rough day at school yesterday because of a parent. I know I shouldn't let a little criticism get me down, but it does. So after sitting at my desk for about 20 minutes staring off into space and contemplating what I could have done differently about said situation, I came home, had dinner, played some Zuma Blitz on my computer, had a glass of wine, and went to bed. This morning I got up, and checked my blog with my cup of coffee. I almost choked on my first sip! I went from 13 followers to 21! I know that doesn't sound like a lot for those of you bloggers out there with 1,000 or more but to me it is AWESOME! I also received 3 awards from some pretty sweet ladies:

Holly at Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade and Caitlyn from Sliding Into First nominated me the


And Edana at Color Me Kinder! awarded me the


So to follow through with the rules for the first award, here goes:

1. Thank the people who awarded me, thanks again Holly!

2. Tell 7 things about me that you might not know (sorry if you get bored and doze off, I don't lead a very exciting life):

*I live on a farm in Pennsylvania. It is my husband's family's farm. We don't have any animals, we just harvest hay to sell to the local construction companies.

*Yes, I've driven a tractor. No, I've never milked a cow. A goat, yes. A cow, no!

*We have 3 generations of teachers in our family. My mother-in-law was a teacher (she's retired now), my husband and I are both teachers, and our oldest daughter is an English teacher.

*We like to camp in the summertime. One summer, we decided to drive across the country and camp. We lasted until we were in Palo Duro (sp?) Canyon in Texas and had storms and flash flooding. Some of the campers were stranded in the bottom of the canyon because the roads were washed out, we were higher up so were able to leave. That was the last night we camped on our trip - it was hotels the rest of the way!

*I seem to be a lot older than most of you bloggers, although I am new to blogging. I'm forty-something with three children. My oldest is 23, my youngest is 14!

*My school district is located in a small, picturesque town in the Alleghany mountains. We only have about 900 kids total in both our elementary and jr-sr high school. We are WAY behind in technology. No Smartboards, IPads, etc in our classrooms. We just got projectors this year which makes me happy, but I long for all the cool technology I read about on everyone else's blogs!

*I just started blogging but I love it and am looking forward to creating some materials to share with other teachers. I have a lot of ideas swirling around in my head, just have to sit down and make myself create them on paper. So please check back to see what I have accomplished in the near future!

3. Now if you're still awake, I'm supposed to pass this onto 15 other new bloggers. I'm going to do my best:
Sandra at Sweet Times in First
Tammy at Camping Out in 1st Grade
Rebecca from The Teacher's Chatterbox
Marna from Crayon Bits: A First Grade Blog 

This is the longest post I've ever done, and I am sorry to anyone who has stuck with me through it all! Some of the Versitile Bloggers I nominated are also the Liebster Blog nominees (I hope that's not against the rules). Please check out their blogs and post a comment or two! There's tons of good stuff there!

12 comments:

Klinger Cafe' said...

I like your new look very cute!
Tammy

Holly said...

Oh I love your new look!!!!! I sooooo want a "blog-lift".

I grew up in a town of 2,000, my Grandparents lived down the road with their dairy farm. I miss it.

Loved reading about you!!!!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Traci said...

Thanks!
Your blog is very cute. I'm your newest follower!
♥ Dragonflies in First ♥

❋Karen❋ said...

Thanks Holly and Tammy. I forgot to thank my daughter in my post, she spent a lot of time helping me today getting this to look right! And I love where we live, it is a quiet, peaceful place to raise a family and we have some really good kids in our school. We miss out on resources found in larger cities. We are about 2 hours from Erie, PA and 2 hours from Buffalo, NY.

Sandra said...

Thanks for the shout out!! I now follow your blog! :)

Sweet Times in First

sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

Sandra

Dee said...

I love your blog! It's cute and you have terrific ideas. Now I'm your newest follower! I hope you can stop by to check out my blog when you have a minute. Best wishes!

Dee
First Impressions

Rebecca said...

It's nice to meet you. Love your blog! Thanks so much for the award! I'm your newest follower!

Blessings from Rebecca
at The Teacher's Chatterbox

Edana said...

I'm sorry to hear about your bad day. I totally hear you & absolutely HATE it when I let parent criticism get me down. CHIN UP! Tomorrow's a new day. Were always going to have parents who work "against" us, instead of "with" us.

My school is pretty far behind too~ so don't feel bad. There just ain't enough money for it in our district. Our schools are pretty old too :(

Edana

Heather's Heart said...

I LOVE your adorable blog! I am your newest follower! I am sorry you had a bad day. =( I had a bad day last week when a co-worker said something ugly about me and my blog. But thanks to this wonderful blogging community, my heart was soon smiling again! =)

I would love for you to visit me when you get the chance! I have TONS and TONS of *freebies*!


Heather
Heather'sHeart

❋Karen❋ said...

Thanks Edana and Heather! Your kind words will help make tomorrow a better day!

Beth Ann said...

Now you are at 32, which is my favorite number! I love the look of your blog! So cute!
Have a great day!
❁Beth Ann❁
Taming My Flock of Firsties
bakteach16@gmail.com

Randi said...

Karen,
Thanks for visiting my blog and becoming a follower! I sent you the Groundhog & Hibernation Freebie! Enjoy. You blog is cute and I truly understand the excitement of new followers and I'm your newest!


Randi @ Teach It With Class
My TPT Store
My Facebook Page